Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Position In Ministry

For those that know me well, they are aware of my ever changing life, especially within the last year. At this time last year, I was going through hell and back, and my immediate future was very much in question. I felt this to be a great time of reflection, because of the difference a year can make.

I will never forget that first day of college. I walked into the gymnasium to pick my classes. I was signed up to be a business Major. I remember looking at the class offering thinking to myself, "you got to be kidding..." macroeconomics, marketing? Ugh, this was not my idea of a good time. I made the decision at that moment to change my major to bible. I wanted to become a youth minister. This what I felt God was leading me to. I was not going to turn back.

Long story short, this isn't exactly what I expected. I had a short stint as a youth minister, met some great friends, but this did not work out to favorably in the end. I am now working a Nationwide Financial, as a Variable life sales and service rep, and I am actually enjoying it. (How ironic the way life takes you sometimes!) I have had thoughts on getting back into "professional" ministry, however I have decided ministry is what I make of it. I used to tell our kids in the youth group that ministry is not meant for a select few, all of us need to be a minister in our context. This is my opportunity to do just that at Nationwide!

I just recently got my series 6 licensing and it appears that this is immediate future. I want to allow God to use me in anyway, in this context. Just a few goals I have set for myself...

1) Love at all costs! As the Rob Bell bumper sticker says "love wins". I want to love with no condition, and I hope those around me can experience the Love in me!

2) Don't be preachy! I am very passionate about many things and my beliefs, people do not to need to hear me on my soap boxes! They need to see light and not and darkness

3) Humility. Jesus came to save me too!

4) Serve at great costs to me. This should be obvious, but not to say it is not difficult.

5) Be involved! I used to feel that I should distance myself from "the world". I am not going to do this, I want to be available and to build relationships at my profession. I also should not hold my self an more "privileged" then those around me, which leads me too my last point...

6) Learn from those around me! I feel that sometimes God will over flow the structures (church buildings and followers) to work outside of those structures. I have lots to learn about God from those around me ( followers or not) and I look forward to what God has in store.

What is my position in ministry? I think it is to join in God's work in my context and to allow God's teachable moments to change me.

-dj

http://audaciousliturgy.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your license.

Those are some great thoughts, Dan. You don't know how much you remind me of Matt. He's a great man and christian also
And now for the best part- Zach was baptized tonight! It was beautiful!

Dan Jones said...

That is awesome, we will be praying for him and the rest of ya too! Give him a hug for us!

-dj

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.Dan,
Thank you about your comments about my baptism. I miss you guys.How is Jacob? I am almost in the youth group.Maybe I will see you at a youth rally? I was at my aunts when you guys came down to the church. Well I have to go . Bye.