Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chlorine Preference

I love the ocean, well sort of anyway. A couple years ago, I was was enjoying thanksgiving with my wife's family in Myrtle Beach. I remember spending countless hours at night just sitting at the beach and watching the ocean move and breath. It was beautiful. There was just something about the night calmness and vast ocean, staring back at each other, in an unusual, but sweet fleeting moment, that created a feeling of smallness and awe within me.

My unusual relationship with the ocean starts and stops on these fleeting moments. The ocean is beautiful and I certainly have grown to appreciate this. However, the way I see it, the ocean is also dangerous, scary, and ambiguous enough that I rarely ever actually step foot in the water. And the times that I have actually waded through the ocean waters, I never have really enjoyed it. There is to much of an unknown for me to reap the joy of ocean time. The fact that I do not know what is lurking around in the ocean waters, prevent me from moving with any concept of freedom. The majesty and beauty of the ocean can only bring me so far before I meet my other friends, fear and ignorance. This is my complex relationship with the ocean.

I like to swim, but not in the ocean. I am more then satisfied with nice little chlorine pools in the back of hotels. Swimming pools are not as beautiful as oceans, and they hardly inspire me. But, I can swim with no fear. Where the swimming pools lack in beauty, they make up for it in the fact that I am swimming in transparency. I have a chlorine preference. I may not be proud if this, but it's true.

The more I think about it, my chlorine preference is my God preference. I love God, I really do. I stand from a distance time after time and I am mesmerized by His movements. I can recall fleeting moments where I have been taken in awe of God. He has been an inspiration to me over and over again. He is beyond big, and I feel beyond small in His presence...from a distance that is.

But, perhaps too often, I have been all to satisfied with this relationship. I have waded in the waters of distant appreciation rather then to fully embrace the unknown and wonder of deep faith. I am really starting to understand that I have a more then healthy fear of God. Sure He is awesome. But I too feel the danger when I get too close. When my feet get to close to the shores, God's spirit shakes me, and this is unsettling to me. I always retreat back to the comforts of small groups and singing nights at church. There is comfort and a shallow happiness that abides in nice little chlorine pools. But, I am beginning to want more. For every "abundant life" that God promises in the scriptures, there is also a "sell all of your possessions" passage that scares me.

Teach me Lord to no longer be satisfied with comfortable chlorine pools, and lead me to deep faith in Your bigness and danger. Forgive me for creating you in my image. Allow my ignorance to coexist within your truth and wisdom.

Amen

- Dan Jones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ask and you shall receive...

I had the same feelings as you have and I asked God to show me the way.. His answer came shortly thereafter...

‘Fear not....
Don’t fear, only believe.... Nothing will frighten you, nothing will oppress you if only you believe firmly and unshakeably….
And thus, a strong faith can mean an easier earthly life for you, for then you will not fear anything and you can walk along untroubled, your thoughts always turned towards the One Who will help you in every adversity…. You should inwardly be firmly convinced that you have a Father in heaven Who is watching over His children and will not leave them in difficulty, because He loves His children.... This firm conviction is already an assurance that this is so….

And what indeed could be more powerful than your Father in heaven?

No human being on earth and no being of darkness can resist Him, and therefore you need not fear that anyone on earth or any dark being would be able to harm you if you believed in God’s greater than great love and the protection He has promised you. For His Words are: ‘Come unto Me all ye that labour…. Ask, and it shall be given, knock, and it shall be opened…. Lift up your eyes to Me, Who will bring you help....’ If you succeed in making the Words of His love your own, if you feel addressed by the Father yourselves, then you will no longer oppose them with doubt and faithfully wait until help arrives.… There is nothing He cannot ward off.... there is nothing impossible for Him…. And thus there is always a solution, even if you cannot foresee one yourselves…. He will truly find the means; He will find a way out of every adversity…. Contemplate these Words deep within your hearts until all doubt has vanished, until you entrust yourselves to Him without fear and wait patiently....
For His love is for you, His children, and this love will never end…. Amen
B.D. 6111 '

You may find the rest of the answers here:
www.bertha-dudde.info/english

In Jesus Christ.

- James