Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Addison Elizabeth Jones, a Big and Fancy Moment


This blog has been largely dedicated to seeing God in unusual places. For better or worse I have used peculiar life experiences to point to something larger. Sometimes these posts have worked, and more times then not, perhaps they just confused things. But the whole gist of these posts was to encourage our perceptions and train our eyes and hearts to seek God in areas we would never expect Him to show up.

But sometimes, every once in a while God shows up where we expect him. As in the fact that God shows up in little and unusual moments, He also shows up in our big and fancy moments. Addison Elizabeth Jones was born on December 13th 2009. It all happened real fast. We arrived at the hospital at 12:30 and she arrived around 1:30. It was all too much to process in such a short time. I was a daddy of one and now I am daddy of two, and a girl of all things! I would have never thought that I would be a father of a Girl. She is beautiful. It was a beautiful moment that will be etched in my memory for as long as I hope to live. (The same is true with my first born's birth.)

It's not that I felt God in any special way when Addie was born. He was there and present for sure. But that's not what leads me to write this post. I write this post out of gratitude. Big and fancy moments are gifts from our Creator as the small and unusual moments are. There is no need for any profound meaning to be extracted from something that may or may not be there, other then to take the obvious splendor of the moment and soak it in like a sponge. Thank you Addison Elizabeth Jones for reminding me to appreciate the moment as the moment it is and not just the moment it could be!

-Dan Jones

No comments: